Bastion Garden is situated at the fourth courtyard of Prague Castle. The garden is bordered by the wings of the New Royal Palace, the Archbishop’s Palace, and the Deer Moat. The name “Bastion” originated from the fact that the remains of a medieval bastion were found here, dating back to the era of Charles IV.
It is a rather small, but very beautiful garden. It was arranged in the years 1930-33 according to the design of Josip Plečnik, and its form has remained the same until today. Bastion Garden is reminiscent of Italian and Japanese gardens. For example, there is a foot bridge with a stone balustrade, or a remarkable round staircase. The white lamps decorating the wall of the Archbishop’s Palace, called Plečnik’s Eyes, represent an interesting feature. Masaryk’s View is also situated in this garden, with a linden tree where T. G. Masaryk used to sit. In the past, there used to be a presidential shelter here, which was built in 1938 by President E. Hácha.
There is a kiosk offering refreshments in this garden, built during the 1950s.