Originally, the Deer Moat served for defensive purposes and its slopes were maintained bare for strategic reasons. Later on, grapevine was planted there. By the early 17th century, they let deer occupy the moat, with Charles IV supposedly shooting them directly from the Spanish Hall windows while he was visiting Prague. The Moat is divided into an upper and a lower part by Powder Bridge, which was built in 1771. Bears were kept in the upper part of the moat in the era of the First Republic, a gift for President Masaryk from the legionaries from Siberia and Carpathian Ruthenia. In 2002, a passage was built in the Theresian embankment, to re-connect the upper and the lower part of the moat. The best place to enter the upper part is at Nový Svět (New World), where there is a path on a wooden footbridge. At the bottom, the path is lined by wooded slopes on both sides. The path diverts on the left to take the visitor to Masaryk’s View, where there is a beautiful view of Prague Castle. The former house of the bear keeper can be seen by the Theresian embankment (the Powder Bridge). After passing through the embankment, it is possible to get to the other part and to admire the decorative sculptures or defensive elements of Prague Castle. The moat is closed during the winter.