The construction of Sternberg Palace on Hradčanské náměstí Square was initiated in 1698 and completed in 1707. As far as architecture is concerned, it may be included in the era of High Baroque. It is not known for sure who the main architect of the project was, but most sources quote Giovanni Battista Alliprandi, Domenico Martinelli and Jan Blažej Santini. In 1811, the palace was sold to the Society of Patriotic Art Lovers, which carried out the reconstruction of the Southern wing in Late Classicism. The palace was hired by the National Museum in the years 1821 to 1847. In 1871, the palace was acquired by St. Anne’s Association of Ladies and Girls and a shelter for the mentally disabled was established here. In the years 1918 – 1947, the palace served the purposes of the Czechoslovak Army. In 1947, it became the property of the National Gallery, being adjusted to suit the needs of its collections. There are valuable pieces of European art situated in all the floors of the palace, originating from the times of ancient Rome up to the end of Baroque.