The treasury origins date back as far as to the 10th century, when Duke Wenceslas took possession of St. Vitus’s arm and initiated the construction of St. Vitus Rotunda for depository purposes. Gradually, other relics were acquired to be deposited in splendid reliquaries made for this purpose –they present magnificent goldsmith and silver craftsmanship. Containing items collected across centuries, the treasury was most significantly expanded under the reign of Charles IV, while the most recent exhibits come from the 20th century.
Initiated by the Union for the Completion of St. Vitus Cathedral (Jednota pro dostavení chrámu sv. Víta), the first display took place in Vladislav Hall in 1866. In the mid-20th century it was moved to the 18th century Chapel of the Holy Cross. The exhibition was opened for the public in the period 1961 ‑ 1989, and it didn’t reopen until 16 December 2011. However, only part of the St. Vitus Treasury was displayed, the remaining items being kept in St. Vitus Cathedral in Hilbert Chapel.
Significant exhibits on display include a cross with the remains of Jesus Christ’s loincloth, St. Wenceslas’s coronation sword, St. Adalbert’s glove, St. Vitus’s Veil of Veronica or a reliquary board from Trier.